Little Venice Restaurant started in a house on the corner of Court and Cherry Streets in May of 1946. Little Venice began to grow at this location serving its homemade tomato sauce and hot pies (pizza).
In December 1960 Little Venice experienced a fire which caused extensive damage to the kitchen area of “the house” on Court Street. The pending development of North Shore Drive and New York State’s acquisition of surrounding property caused Little Venice to seek a new location.
Temporarily Little Venice leased a small restaurant on the corner of Jay and Court Streets, previously known as J.J.’s Restaurant. Meanwhile, the owners were in search of Little Venice’s new home.
In May of 1961 Little Venice relocated to 22 Chenango Street, site of Delano’s Restaurant. It remained there until 1969 when First National Bank (which owned the property) bought out the lease in order to expand.
As a result, Little Venice moved to its present location at 111 Chenango Street. The property was previously occupied by Phil Chin’s Restaurant and the Binghamton Symphony Theater.
While, the restaurant has stayed put for the last 35 years it has undergone a few changes. First was the expansion of the dining room in 1974. The banquet room was added in 1984. The kitchen expanded in July of 1998.
In 2004 the restaurant completed another major renovation. A whole new entrance was completed, along with a new bar, expanded kitchen and additional seating. The front of the building was also redone.
Little Venice is currently under construction again. This new expansion project will qualify as the largest project at the current location.